Orange Roll and Sushi is the first place I ever had (and fell in love with) the Japanese meal. The dive is sleek and always hopping, and of all the rolls they offer, the mysteriously named Amber Roll is rightfully their best seller.
The comforting warmth of the shrimp and rice is the first thing that greets your mouth. Sweet, crunchy tempura crisps follow, melting on your tongue with all the ease of a snowflake. This Amber Roll is all about contrasting textures and flavors—crunchy, soft, sweet, creamy—and nothing complements the roll better than the saltiness of soy sauce and the spice of wasabi.
Order it from the “Chef’s Special Roll” section of their two-sided menu. And take all the time in the world to savor this dish, cars idling in the parking lot desperately waiting for a space to open up be damned.
Orange Roll and Sushi, 327 S. Anaheim Blvd., Anaheim, (714) 517-0013; www.loveorangesushi.com
86. Frito Chili Cheeseburger at Burger Parlor
87. Maui Sunrise at The Original Banzai Bowls
88. Meals from The Performance Kitchen
89. Pizza-Sized Quesadilla at Los Sanchez
90. Filipino Brunch at EATS Kitchen And Bar
91. Mexican Chocolate at the Pie Hole
92. Biscuits at James Republic
93. Mushroom Flatbread with Kale and Kumquat Salad at Lemonade
94. Mexican-Style Gelatins from Santa Ana’s Gelatina Goddess
95. Hot Pastrami Caesar Salad at Bruxie
96. Jalapeño Pupusas at Las Cazuelas
97. Meatball Sliders at Fresh Brothers
98. Buffalo Cauliflower at Mead’s Green Door Cafe
99. Raindrop Cake at Sunmerry Bakery
100. Doughrito at Surfin’ Donuts