Firefighters responded to a blaze on the 2100 block of East Broadway in Long Beach around 4 a.m. inside local gift and collectibles shop Hot Stuff. The structure fire tore through the building near the intersection of Broadway and Junipero Ave. near Bixby Park as flames and smoke billowed out of the roof and blackened the interior of the store. Approximately half a dozen fire trucks and several other police and paramedic units were called to the scene as the fire raged. No injuries were reported, according to Long Beach Fire Department spokesperson Jack Crabtree.
Forty-five firefighters responded to the scene within three and a half minutes of the call and knocked down the fire in about 15 minutes, Crabtree says. Outside, locals gathered to watch as the beloved store went up in smoke.
“I got out here because I had to go to work and I smelled smoke when I got to the corner near the store,” says Lakewood resident John Moore who was in the area visiting a friend. He says he heard the sound of the chainsaws as firefighters were chopping down the door to get in. Moore captured shots of the fire still blazing through the store, his white Mustang blocked in by fire trucks. “Thanks to the brave women and men of the Long Beach Fire Department, no one got hurt,” he says. The store sits between a Thai Haus and Chen’s Chinese restaurants on Broadway. Luckily the next door buildings only sustained minor smoke damage and the fire didn’t catch on either one of the restaurants, both with gas lines that could have easily exploded.
Last night, less than a mile away, Long Beach eatery Restauration also caught fire and sustained major damage.
Originally opened in 1980, Hot Stuff was named after Donna Summer’s hit song by the same name and specialized in outrageous novelties, adult toys, and retro collectibles. The original partners have passed on, according to the store’s website, but not before keeping it in the family, maintaining its reputation, customer service, and items that are unusual to find.
This morning Hot Stuff owner Barbara D’All posted an update on the store’s Facebook page.
“Hello fans. Sad news for this Friday morning. In the early morning a fire started in the shop and much is destroyed or smoked out. We will be closed until further notice. Lots to clean up..Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for your support. ❤ We will keep you updated…”