If you're a regular OC Weekly reader and a gamer, our video game writer Peter Mai is probably your hero. Our video game columnist consistently gets hundreds of thousands of page views every week with his insightful and well-written blogs. Which ones were the most popular this year? Find out after the jump.
10. Five Video Games With the Worst Bugs of 2011
A look at five of the most notable video game bugs and glitches of 2011, including Dark Souls (PlayStation 3), The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (XBOX 360, PS3, PC) and Dead Island (XBOX 360, PS3, PC) and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii).
9. Three of Nintendo's Awesome Japanese Services That We Will Never See
A few of the Japanese services on 3DS that will probably never see the light of day in America, including the Nintendo TV Guide Channel and the Wiinoma Channel.
8. Top Five Classic Games That HAVE Modernized Well
There's a reason you would still play games such as Castlevania, Metroid and Pac-Man–it's because certain games that were popularized on the NES that have retained their classic charm and feel, yet have matured enough in order to make it a brand-new experience with present day sensibilities.
7. Irvine Gamer Gal Sets Guinness World Record in 'Guitar Hero'
Now every gamer's dream girl, Annie Leung of Irvine, set the female world record for a single track on Guitar Hero III, racking up 789,349 points on the expert level of “Through the Fire and Flames” by
the band DragonForce. (This is also the only video game post that Mai didn't write; staffer Michelle Woo had the honors.)
6. Vaporware: 5 Video Games That Should Be Released By Now (But May Never Be)
5. 7 Racist Video Games You Had No Idea Were Racist
4. BlizzCon 2011's 15 Hottest Babes
3. 10 Most Unique Ways to Perform 'Legend of Zelda' Songs
Many old-school gamers still consider Zelda to be one of the greatest games of all time, and one of the most memorable components of the Zelda
franchise is its memorable music.
The game was
composed by the legendary Koji Kondo, who was also the same mastermind
behind the Super Mario Bros theme song. You've probably heard people play the Legend of Zelda
theme song about a bazillion times with the guitar and piano on YouTube
already. However, how often can you hear it performed by a freaking carrot?
2. 10 Things You Didn't Know About Sonic the Hedgehog
And the biggest video game post of 2011 is…
1. Ten Signs You're an Aging Gamer
Are you old enough to remember Nintendo Cereal? Did you ever blow on game cartridges to make them work? Do you have an old system still hooked up to your TV? Then you're an aging gamer, and you probably read this post, which garnered over half a million page views, this year.