Man Charged with Threat of “Shooting Up” Century High School, His Santa Ana Alma Mater

The suspect’s Facebook page.

A Santa Ana College student is due in court today for allegedly sharing his plans “on shooting up” his former high school and contacting a female who had a restraining order against him.

Kevin Cacho is charged with felony criminal threats and violation of a protective order with a prior conviction, according to the Orange County District Attorney’s office (OCDA), which added the 20-year-old Santa Ana resident’s arraignment is scheduled for today in the Central Jail Court.

Cacho had previously texted a female he went to Santa Ana’s Century High School with and expressed an interest in her becoming his girlfriend, but she “apparently did not feel the same way, which led to a restraining order against him,” said Cpl. Anthony Bertagna, the Santa Ana police spokesman.

The suspect was convicted this past Oct. 10 of making criminal threats, states the OCDA’s felony complaint.

Kevin Cacho’s booking photo (OCDA)

Cacho allegedly reconnected with the former classmate and made the threats against Century High, which led to an investigation that resulted in his arrest Saturday on suspicion of contempt of court/disobeying a court order and threatened crime with intent to terrorize, Bertagna said.

With “exporter” listed as his occupation, Cacho was being held on $1 million bail, according to the Orange County Sheriff Department’s inmate database.

The Weekly obtained a copy of a letter in which, after the threat is made, the writer notes, “I don’t hate Century. I just want the world to see the problem that everyone has been ignoring.”

The writer vows to expose all his messages from the past five years to show what motivated the threatened shooting.

“How would people feel when they find out that he just wanted to talk?” states the letter. “That all these people wouldn’t have died if they had just talked to him. They will know you. They will know everyone involved. I want people to know my pain.”

Here is the full letter:

OC Weekly Editor-in-Chief Matt Coker has been engaging, enraging and entertaining readers of newspapers, magazines and websites for decades. He spent the first 13 years of his career in journalism at daily newspapers before “graduating” to OC Weekly in 1995 as the alternative newsweekly’s first calendar editor.

2 Replies to “Man Charged with Threat of “Shooting Up” Century High School, His Santa Ana Alma Mater”

Leave a Reply to Paul Lucas Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *