Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
We know we are in the minority when it comes to pizza. So sue us if we like our crust with some chew; we'll keep right on munching. Our preferred style used to be all about Chicago. That is, until we were led down an alternative path in Garden Grove.
First generation Italian-American John Vairo has been a Perry's franchise owner in Garden Grove since 1974. Over the span of 40 years, he expanded upon the pizza concept to include pasta recipes handed down from his Calabrian parents. His goal was to serve great food at reasonable prices in a family atmosphere. And that's exactly how we felt while meeting someone here for lunch.
Non-conformist to round pies, these slices are raised on a rectangular pan. Normally served with few toppings, it's also less saucy than the competition. Its density reminds us of focaccia, but with a bonus of being hot and cheesy. The taste is comforting, and who couldn't use some comfort?
Perry's Pizza N Italian Restaurant is located at 6937 Chapman Ave, Garden Grove, (714) 898-7670; www.perryspizzarestaurant.com.
74. Kabocha Honey Nuts at Kabuki
75. Smashed Potatoes at Standing O
76. Dim Sum at Seafood Cove #2
77. Loco Moco at Bread Crumb Ohana Cafe
78. Bratwurst at Barley Forge
79. Beef Noodle Soup at (Wafting Fragrance) Noodle House
80. Taco de Nopal at Urban Cactus
81. Fried Chicken at Crazy Chi-Mac
82. Mole Tots at Amor y Tacos
83. Khao Soi at S.T. Noodle Bar
84. Chili Cone Queso at Cozy Cone Motel
85. Crispy Smelt at Big Catch Seafood
86. Teriyaki Chicken Plate at California Plate
87. Combo Plate at MasalaCraft
88. Cornbread Waffle N Chicken at Mrs. Bea's
89. Everything at Crispy Town
90. Kurobuta Pork Belly Bánh Mì at Mendocino Farms
91. Tostilocos at Tortas y Biónicos “Nice”
92. Milanesa at Delicias Peruanas
93. Super Nachos at Kelly's Korner Tavern
94. Tortas at Sliced and Diced Eatery
95. Seasonal Dumplings at Coconut Rabbit
96. Burrito de Birria de Res from Burritos La Palma
97. Bò Kho at Song Long Restaurant
98. Pancake Sandwich at Willowick Golf Course
99. Tahdig at Tanor Fresh Mediterranean Grill
100. Quatro Formaggi Panini at Old Vine Cafe
A contributing writer for OC Weekly, Anne Marie freelances for multiple online and print publications, and guest judges for culinary competitions. A Bay Area transplant, she graduated with a degree in Hospitality Management from Cal Poly Pomona. Find her on Instagram as brekkiefan.